Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Weekend 2008

Well, hello, I will try to be more regular about posting here.
Over Labor Day, I went with 7 friends to the Upper Penninsula. Our main goal was to walk the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day. On Sunday, however, we went to the Munising area. We visited Laughing Whitefish Falls and then went to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Some of us climbed up the falls. This particular falls has a ledge at the top where water goes straight down and then it flows down a long series of small ledges like irregular steps and slanted rock faces.
We had a lot of fun playing in the water and challenging ourselves on the rocks.
At Pictured Rocks, we swam in Miners River where it flows into Lake Superior. 3 of our group jumped off the rock cliffs into Lake Superior. I just enjoyed the sensation of sitting on bed rock and feeling the water move around me in the river.
It was the fourth or fifth time I walked the Bridge. I love it every time. The bridge seems so light and fragile, strange since it is made of iron and concrete. The bridge seems to sit so lightly on the earth. The whole idea of a five mile long structure less than 100 feet wide seems so delicate in the context of the Great Lakes and the land masses that it connects.
I feel a spiritual connection with God when I visit the falls, Pictured Rocks and the Bridge. God gave us such a gift when we were imbued with free will, imagination and curiosity. Since God created us, the beautiful things we appreciate and construct must be extensions of His glory.
This is not my most eloquent writing. I hope to get better as I learn this Blog thing. The format gets in my way. I find it cumbersome to post these messages.

No comments: